NZ BAKELS LTD or NZB as it is known within the Group was first registered in New Zealand in 1953. Bakels imported products became available in New Zealand some time later through the agency of a personal friend of Bernard J Bakels, Vladmir Kozak.
Manufacturing first commenced in 1956 in small premises in Dominion Road Auckland under the guidance of new appointee Maurice Duncan. The company soon outgrew these premises and in 1960 moved to a purpose built building on a site in Church Street Penrose where it is still based today. The buildings and development of the site on the Corner of Church Street East and Industry Road has undergone much expansion since the original building which at the time housed factory, warehouse and offices in a single building
The product range is also much expanded from the original products manufactured at NZB which were emulsified fats MASTERFAT and BRITTEX; emulsified tin release agent TINCOL and Baking Powder.
The number of staff in the very early days was 4.